Tags: appears, error, fatal, following, message, program, programming, writing, xio

Fatal Error in C

On Programmer » C & C++

5,672 words with 6 Comments; publish: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:40:00 GMT; (20047.00, « »)

Hi,

I am writing a program in C. The following error message appears:

************************************************** ************************

"XIO: fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server ":0.0"after 0

requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining. Segmentation

fault."

************************************************** ************************

I am using linux - Gnome Desktop version 2.10.2 and run my program in

the terminal.

Do you know what is going on?

Many thanks,

Kenneth

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 6 Comments
    • kennethlou.c-programming.todaysummary.com.yahoo.com.hk wrote:

>Hi,

>I am writing a program in C. The following error message appears:

>************************************************** ************************

>"XIO: fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server ":0.0"after 0

>requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining. Segmentation

>fault."

>************************************************** ************************

>I am using linux - Gnome Desktop version 2.10.2 and run my program in

>the terminal.

>Do you know what is going on?

>Many thanks,

>Kenneth

<OT>

Quick! Before the first reply comes. Ok, I have my soda, popcorn, and

a comfortable seat. Let the show begin! ;)

</OT>

#1; Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:41:00 GMT
    • kennethlou.c-programming.todaysummary.com.yahoo.com.hk said:

> Hi,

> I am writing a program in C. The following error message appears:

> ************************************************** ************************

> "XIO: fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server ":0.0"after 0

> requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining. Segmentation

> fault."

> ************************************************** ************************

> I am using linux - Gnome Desktop version 2.10.2 and run my program in

> the terminal.

> Do you know what is going on?

Richard Heathfield

"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

email: rjh at above domain (but drop the www, obviously)

#2; Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:43:00 GMT
    • Actually it is a opengl program using C. and my program and the

animation are running properly. Suddenly it happens.

So, what is going on?

#3; Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:44:00 GMT
    • kennethlou.c-programming.todaysummary.com.yahoo.com.hk wrote:

> Hi,

> I am writing a program in C. The following error message appears:

> ************************************************** ************************

> "XIO: fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server ":0.0"after 0

> requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining. Segmentation

> fault."

> ************************************************** ************************

> I am using linux - Gnome Desktop version 2.10.2 and run my program in

> the terminal.

> Do you know what is going on?

[Offtopic] Don't mix threads and X. For more info, go to comp.windows.x.

:wq

^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

#4; Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:45:00 GMT
    • "Ico" <usenet.c-programming.todaysummary.com.zevv.nl> wrote in message

news:4471d393$0$3599$e4fe514c.c-programming.todaysummary.com.dreader30.news.xs4al l.nl...

> kennethlou.c-programming.todaysummary.com.yahoo.com.hk wrote:

>> Hi,

>> I am writing a program in C. The following error message appears:

>> ************************************************** ************************

>> "XIO: fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server ":0.0"after 0

>> requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining. Segmentation

>> fault."

>> ************************************************** ************************

>> I am using linux - Gnome Desktop version 2.10.2 and run my program in

>> the terminal.

>> Do you know what is going on?

> [Offtopic] Don't mix threads and X. For more info, go to comp.windows.x.

Don't let these guys discourage you. As long as you use an OS written in C,

then I'll pretend to know what a segfault is. joe

#5; Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:46:00 GMT
    • kennethlou.c-programming.todaysummary.com.yahoo.com.hk opined:

> Actually it is a opengl program using C. and my program and the

> animation are running properly. Suddenly it happens.

> So, what is going on?

To Roberto Waltman: Crack open the soda. It begins... NOW!

To OP:

Quote context, even yourself. Read the link in my sig -- carefully.

So, what IS going on, then?

Well, my crystal ball (lovingly designed by DS9K, and delivered by a

bunch of flying pigs out of somebody else's UB ridden code) tells me

that you have a memory leak, and that the root cause is on the line

42. Apart from that, there's 17 other instances of Undefined

Behaviour, and 57 `printf()` statements not terminated by '\n'. The

latter are preventing you to see the problem clearly, as there's

actually no output (apart from the error message).

Now, if you want any help, please post a minimal compilable example of

your code, and make sure that the problem is not OS, processor or

compiler extension specific. If any of the previous do not hold, you

should go where the offending one(s) are topical. Here, we discuss

only Standard C, and it knows not of threads, X windows, Y windows, or

even MS Windows.

Insults are effective only where emotion is present.

-- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1